Yaounde, Cameroon Africa. (Cameroon News) – Cameroon’s Members of Parliament will November 27, 2011 scrutinize government’s bill on the development of associated gas intended to boost the country’s gas potential while honouring its international commitments regarding environmental protection.
The Minister of Industry, Mines and Technological Development, Badel Ndanga Ndinga will defend the bill in the Committee on Production and Trade of the National Assembly.
The bill was tabled in the entire House during a plenary sitting Saturday, November 26, 2011 chaired by the Speaker of the National Assembly, Hon. Cavaye Yeguie Djibril.
“Between 2000 and 2009”, government disclosed in the explanatory statement to the bill, “Cameroon produced 12 billion cubic metres of gas, or about 3.5 million cubic metres per day.
Despite these relatively large amounts of associated gas produced during oil production, only 10 percent of this volume was actually used, the rest, 90 percent was flared on oil rigs”.
Gas flaring, government explains, causes wastage of a substantial amount of energy that could be used to meet its present and future energy needs.
Gas flaring is not only a major loss for Cameroon’s energy and economic balance but also a source of carbon dioxide emissions, that leads to global warming.
Government through the bill seeks to reduce gas flaring, valorize the gas collected so as to boost the gas potential to better satisfy domestic electricity and cooking gas demand.
It also wants to fill the existing legal void regarding associated gas, and at the same time comply with the principles of Kyoto Protocol which urges States to reduce carbon dioxide emissions due to fossible fuel combustion.Pin It